Excuses: we’ve all got ’em.
Having an excuse can often be an easy alternative to putting in the time and energy required to actually do something… and your own excuses might be so good that you actually believe them. We get it — you can be pretty persuasive when you want to be.
But you know as well as we do that your excuses are probably keeping you from doing some seriously worthwhile things: investing in a new relationship, chasing a promotion at work, cooking healthier meals for your family, and making more time for physical activity. And that last one can be a doozy for so many. Keep scrolling for eight of the most common excuses we hear that are keeping people from getting as active as they should be… along with our thoughts on how to bust them.
1. “I don’t have enough time.” We would never take your busy schedule for granted, or try to convince you that your life isn’t as chaotic and non-stop as you think it is. Your time is precious! But let’s get really serious here for a sec — realistically, it’s always possible to squeeze just a few extra minutes out of the day. Set your alarm for 30 minutes earlier so you can go for a run or forgo your usual hour of evening Netflix-watching for a bulldog online class. Trust us: if you think critically about your schedule, you’re bound to find the time you need for a little extra movement.
2. “Taking care of myself takes away from my family.” You know that whole thing about putting your own oxygen mask on before you help someone else with theirs? It works the same way with your everyday health routines. Prioritizing workouts for you helps ensure that you can feel and be your very best for the people that you love. Your partner and kids and friends and parents want you to be and feel like that very best version of yourself. Ask for their support as you look at your schedule and block out the time you need to be more active. It’s sure to benefit them, too!
3. “I’m just too lazy.” Ugh. You know that’s the ultimate excuse. You’re not doing yourself any favors by saying it, and it’s a pretty empty statement to begin with. If you want to exercise more but feel like you’re “too lazy,” well, stop being lazy! Adjust your mindset and get motivated.
4. “I’m not flexible/coordinated/athletic.” If you don’t have a ton of experience with working out, we understand that it can be a little scary to start. What if you go for a run and keep cramping up, or what if you take a class and feel silly? We’re only human, and we all have our insecurities. The thing about exercise, though, is that it creates this really cool positive cycle. The more you do it, the stronger, more flexible, more coordinated, and more fit you’re going to feel. With each sweat session, you’ll feel more confident. You just have to start. And since we do everything we can here at bulldog to make sure that yoga is 0% intimidating, hanging out with us is a good place to get the jitters out.
5. “It’s too late for me to get in shape, anyway.” You’re never too old to get more fit, and you can never have so much going on in your life that you don’t deserve the chance to feel the way you want to feel. Don’t use your age or your kids or your current (possibly low) fitness level as an excuse not to give exercise a shot.
6. “I’m too tired.” If we had a nickel for every time someone told us that they were “tired,” we’d own a million dogs by now. We’re all tired. And while we do feel for you, we also suggest you give yourself a reality check. Doing this whole life thing can be exhausting, but it’s no reason to sit out worthwhile activities! Plus, working out has been proven to give you more energy, so working some additional movement into your routine may actually solve this problem for you.
7. “I’ve tried getting into working out before and it wasn’t my thing.” Winners never quit and quitters never win, people. Just because one exercise or health regimen proved disappointing for you in the past doesn’t mean that there isn’t another one out there that could be more successful. Give it another shot!
8. “Working out isn’t fun.” Ummmm hello? You’ve clearly never worked out with us before. Try exercise the bulldog way — great music! great people! great vibes! — or grab a friend before you work out next. You might just learn to love it, after all.
***You can get the bulldog experience anywhere, anytime with our online classes or via our app (App store | Google Play) — and make sure you check out our full line of bulldog swag, too! Don’t forget to subscribe to the bulldog blog so you can get e-mail notifications about every new post.***
Featured image: Prateek Katyal/Unsplash